Monday, May 14, 2012

BUSY

I have not been on here for a few days and it certainly wasn't because of a lack of things to say.  I have been busy doing many activities that I know I will have to put off once I start working full time again. I enjoy spending time in my back yard now.  I was thinking the other day that we have lived here for about 17 years and I haven't spent as much time in my back yard in all those years as I have in the past couple of months. I would read on my front porch or I was too busy working and doing inside chores to take the time to sit outside in the back yard.  I didn't realize how busy nature was back there.

Yesterday was Mother's Day AND my fathers birthday.  By habit, we spent the time sitting in the driveway in the front of the house. My goal is to get everyone into the back yard by the end of the summer. I loved spending time with my Mom and Dad. Two of my boys were here (one was not able to come, he was being detained elsewhere).  Nik has become such a good man.  We were worried at one point that he would not live this long.  We will not get into that now, but let's just say, he is now a hard worker and loves to spend time with his family.  Nathan and Jessie brought Avery over.  Nathan was tired from his two week long celebration of his very best friends wedding celebrations.  Little Avery felt her Daddy's fatigue as well and at times was a little cranky.

Do you know how hard it is to sit and let parents discipline your grandchild?  I try so hard to be supportive but gosh darn it - you might as well be putting me in time out because I was crying right along with her! (I am sure both of them WANT to put me in time out sometimes too).

When they got here, before the car door opened, Avery was yelling, "Gaga!!!" and apparently she was working very hard to get out of her car seat and remove every treasure she holds dear to her while en route to wherever from her lap. She finally escaped and came running up to me, arms out, yelling, "Gaga! MY GAGA!!!"  She gave me a big hug and kiss.  Why is that a big deal?  Because it was the first time she had claimed me as her Gaga. MY Gaga........damn right!

She is going through a shy phase right now so with people she doesn't recognize right away she pretends to not see, or hides from them by hiding behind my leg. Regardless of who is here or why, she knows what should be happening while at HER Gaga's house.  PLAYING!!! While ignoring most others, she grabbed my hand and led me to her park to play the normal slide game, or led me inside the house to find toys. From a two year old's perspective, this is just what is done. She is responding to habits already formed and will ease into new habits over time. So we need to have more picnics.

At one point it was time to eat. She wanted no part of taking time out of her busy playing to eat.  Even if it was macaroni and cheese.  Eventually, I am sad to say, she ending up in time out. I know now that when my precious grandchild goes into time out, I need to as well ~ in another state. While she was sitting on her time out chair, her eyes locked with mine and she screamed "GAGA!!!  GA-GA!!!!!!" ~sniffle~ My heart broke! I seriously had tears in my eyes.  I can't describe the feeling I experience at that time ~ the pain of knowing my grandchild wants me to save her from all things evil (in her mind) and I am just sitting there watching her.

Now, I fully support my son and daughter-in-law.  If I didn't I would have run over and grabbed her and put the two of THEM in time out.  But I know that it is important to let them discipline her if I want to have a well behaved grandchild when she is 5. I also know it is important to the relationship for Avery to see me support her parents. But gosh darn it is so hard sometimes.

She did forgive me though and when time out was over she came to sit beside me.  With huge tears in her eyes which I promptly kissed away. She still wouldn't eat. She is stubborn that way.  She gets that trait from someone in the family ~

No comments:

Post a Comment