Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy places

I love spending time by the water. I spent time on the coast of California, Oregon, and Washington on the west ~ Florida, South and North Carolina, Virginia, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire on the East ~ Louisiana on the Gulf and inland I have spent time on the coasts of Lakes Michigan, Superior, Huron, Eerie, and the mighty Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.

Just sitting and thinking, sometimes reading the latest novel, or writing a letter.  But mostly, especially by the oceans, I just sit and breath, take in the salty air, let all my negative thoughts flow out with the waves while the new waves coming in bring me peace and serenity.  My favorite places are along the Pacific Ocean.  I really want to take a car drive up the coast from San Diego to Vancouver. I really, REALLY want to spend time on an island in the South Pacific.  I dream of taking a significant amount of time to live on an island.  I would never get bored.

 Laguna Beach, California
In 2000, I had the opportunity to speak at a conference in Sacramento.  It was the perfect opportunity to take a trip with my Mom so off we went.  It was the first time I had traveled on a plane in many years and I was a bit nervous.  My Mom however, was a pro and got us through the airport without a problem. Once we got to California we spent several days ~ 8 as a matter of fact ~ traveling between Sacramento, San Francisco, Napa Valley, and along the coast on Highway 1 to Fort Bragg.  We stayed in beautiful Bed and Breakfasts, spent a lot of time people watching, and got lost quite a few times, laughing our way out of our mess.  We toured a winery owned by Nicolas Cage's uncle but was disappointed to not find Nic there himself.  They have great wine though.  It was a trip I will remember always and a great way to get some one on one time with my Mom without having to compete with my kids or my Dad for her attention.

I have gone back to the west coast several times, most recently in 2010.  Again I was speaking at the same conference but this time it was in Anaheim so I was able to see other parts of California. This time I went with co-workers and found traveling with them a bit different than with my Mom but fun just the same.

I would love to go back.  I came home the last time announcing that I had found a shack along Route 1 that I would have bought in a heartbeat had I found a job out there to support me.  I wouldn't have needed much money because my lifestyle would include sitting by the ocean and reading or collecting seashells. But then I saw my granddaughter again.  That took care of that plan.  I need to stay here so I can be involved in her life and just find a way to visit the coast. Someday she and I will take a trip along the coast of the Pacific Ocean and I will show her all my favorite beaches and we will collect shells and take lots of pictures of the birds and seals.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment